Thursday

Top Attractions of Berlin Brandenburg Gate Brandenburger Tor

The Brandenburger Tor is a monumental gate built in the eighteenth century as a symbol of peace. During the Cold War, when the gate was located right near the border between East and West Berlin, it became a symbol of a divided city.
 
 
Brandenburg-Gate-Berlin
Brandenburg Gate
 
Brandenburger-Gate-Berlin-seen-from-the-back
Brandenburger Gate seen from the back
 
Brandenburger-Gate-seen-from-Reichstag
Brandenburger Gate seen from Reichstag 
 
Brandenburger-Gate-during-the-Festival-of-Lights
 Brandenburger Gate during the Festival of Lights
 
Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate has become the symbol of a reunified Berlin. The desolate area that Pariser Platz was during the Cold War, is now completely redeveloped and has regained much of its nineteenth-century grandeur.

Brandenburg Gate

The Brandenburg Gate is situated at the end of Unter den Linden, a grand boulevard in Berlin. It was originally part of a wall surrounding Berlin and was the main entrance to the city. It is the only gate that remains of this former city wall.

The monumental gate was designed by Carl Gotthard and commissioned by emperor Wilhelm II. The design of the gate, 65.5 meter wide and 28 meter tall was based on the Propylaea, the gateway to the Acropolis in Athens. It was constructed between 1778 and 1791 and replaced an older city gate. The decorations, including bas-relief scenes depicting Greek mythology took another four years to complete.

Quadriga

Chariot-on-the-Brandenburger-Gate

 Chariot on the Brandenburger Gate

The Quadriga
The quadriga of victory crowning the gate was built in 1793 by Johann Gottfried Schadow. The bronze quadriga is driven by the goddess of peace; originally the gate was a symbol of peace.

In 1806, during Berlin's occupation by France, Napoleon ordered the quadriga to be taken to Paris. After the Battle of Waterloo, the quadriga was triumphantly taken back to Berlin, and it was turned into a symbol of victory. At the same time the square near the gate was renamed Pariser Platz and the statue on the quadriga was now called Victoria, after the Roman goddess of Victory.

After WWII

The gate, which by that time had become a symbol of Prussian militarism, was badly damaged during World War II. After the war and the division of Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate was right at the border between East and West Berlin, just inside the Russian sector.
 
Brandenburger-Tor-at-Pariser-Platz

Brandenburger-Tor-at-Pariser-Platz
Pariser Platz
In 1958 the gate was restored by East Berlin, while West Berlin funded the reconstruction of the quadriga.

Berlin Wall

After the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 which was built right near the Brandenburg Gate, the Pariser Platz, on the East-Berlin side, became completely desolate. The gate symbolized Germany's division. With the fall of the wall in 1989, people flocked to the reopened Brandenburg Gate to celebrate.
The monument was renovated again in 2001; it opened as good as new on October 3, 2002.

1 comment:

Polka Kilo said...

I was there last year fab place
Nice pictures !

www.polkakilo.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...